One-to-One English Lessons in London: Fantasy

I've been teaching English for more than fifteen years, in England, Holland, Portugal and Japan.

I've taught people from all over the world - Korea, China, Brazil, Argentina, Finland, France, Italy, Russia, Germany, Saudi Arabia, Jordan..... it's a very long list!! So if for any reason you're in London and need English, contact me. I can help you!


Monday 21 April 2008

Fantasy

The night before we'd gone to see Dake and Zono play their last gig at Traumaris, the best bar in Tokyo, which was about to close down. They did an incredible version of 'Fantasy' by Earth, Wind and Fire and while I'm not the world's biggest fan of seventies/eighties soul music, I decided to buy the track from I-Tunes.
As I pressed "buy", something strange happened. The screen went blank, and I-tunes politely asked me to re-register my account. Equally politely, I agreed to do so. However, when I eventually got back in-store I noticed I had bought an album by EW and F. And not just any album, A triple album of 39 tracks including 10 minute long DJ re-mixes!

Yes, it was expensive. I was not a happy man. Either I deleted 38 tracks, or "shuffle" would give me a dose of remixed EW and F every time I didn't want to hear it. But being from Yorkshire, I couldn't bring myself to waste all that money and I began a personal campaign to try to love the music. The campaign was not a great success!

A few weeks later, my computer crashed. Of course, that very day I;d been thinking of doing a new back-up, but unfortunately...........I hadn't.

I had burned one track on a compilation CD for my wife: "Fantasy". It remains the most expensive track I have ever bought. 4,000 plus yen for one track. Nearly one private lesson. 5 days supply of beer. A pretty good tempura meal. One and a half Murakami novels. (etc.)

No comments: